Wednesday, July 16, 2008

It's amazing what you don't know about yourself

I had to go to the range today for quarterly qualifications. I always qualify, that's no big deal. I wish I had done better but oh well.

One of the firearms instructors we have is a complete douchebag. No joke. First he pissed off one of my male coworkers by whispering something in his ear as he's shooting on the line. WTF!!!??? Then he pisses off another coworker of mine who's female and now I can't even remember what it was he said. We were shooting as if we were out on the streets as usual--I mean how we were dressed. We weren't wearing tactical vests as usual for quals. Our weapons were concealed and everything & they wanted us to practice shooting by lifting up or however else our clothes that were covering our guns and then shooting. Anyway, douchebag decides to give me shit up there on the line about my shirt being too tight. Not that he was looking at the girls (thank god. EW!) but that you could see the outline of my gun. Whatever dude! We didn't even know what was planned for this session so I am sorry I didn't dress to your satisfaction dumbass!!! It was so damn hot out too, I was sweating like crazy. We were all disgruntled today. This dumbass is not always there when we qualify & when we see that he's there I & my fellow agents know we're going to be living in hell that day.

Then came the 2nd half of the day and this is really where my post title makes sense. We always do defensive tactics the 2nd half of the day. Today the instructors made us do 4 different punches, kicks and blocks for 1 1/2 min. and then conduct an arrest scenario. What I really didn't know about myself was that I am SO completely outa shape. I know I am out of shape but didn't realize how much. You'd be surprised what 90 seconds will do to you when you're giving your all. It was SO hard to continue doing those punches, etc. and not stopping. Basically fighting like your life depended on it. I know now that I can only fight for about 45 secs. and then I lose it. Some asshole better not mess w/ me cause after 45 secs. or maybe even sooner he's gonna get a 40 caliber round plugged into him cause I won't have any other choice. God, I hope that never happens. Knock on wood.

I have the option to carry a concealed firearm where ever I want (except jails and judges' chambers) whenever I want and I never do (except when I fly. I refuse to be on a plane that gets hijacked. I will kill the son of a bitch before he gets charge of that plane). Guns are so cumbersome though. Even the smallest guns are easy to tell you're wearing it oftentimes. At least on women I think. I really should carry. I think about my kids and what would happen if something happened and I didn't have it on me which is entirely the case most of the time. I feel like an irresponsible cop mom now. Sigh.

On a lighter note...one of my best buddies + her DH and son (who is slightly over 2 yrs. old) are coming out from Vegas to visit me and the kids for a few days tomorrow. YAY! That also means that today was my last day of work for the week. YAY again! :) I can't wait for their visit! I am going to have some really cute pix pretty soon of Sam and Spencer, their son.

Thanks for reading about my whining!

2 comments:

Lolita Breckenridge said...

Can we fly together? Did you at least get to practice punches on the DB?

Momma Trish said...

I am totally girl-crushin' on you now, after that post. LOL